Casas de Millan (History)

El Calvario  This locality includes the Roman Villa of San Benito, where coins have been found from the Roman Empire (1st century A.D.). In the Santa Marina mountain range a former Roman camp known as the House of the Praetor is located, where paved rooms with square and hexagonal floor tiles have been documented and a system of water conduction.

There is also some information relating to the visigothic period. There is reference to an altar that was found in the hermitage of Our Lady of Tebas.

  Cardinal Trejo was born here. He held, among other positions, Inquisitor (Inquisition) of the Court, Major Chaplain of the Descalzas and Judge of the Royal Council. While he occupied these positions at the request of the monarch Felipe III, he received the cardinal's hat by Pope Paul V on December 2, 1615. He was a member of the congregation of cardinals that were called to regulate for the Council, on the Index of prohibited books, and of the congregation of the Inquisition. La Cruz PrimeraIn Rome he became the king's ambassador, one of the highest distinctions in those times. Also he was conferred the title of Commissioner General of the Crusade because of illness by Don Martin of Cordova. He obtained the archbishopric of Salermo by king Felipe IV, in the kingdom of Naples, whose Lord and prince belonged to the noble family of the Grimaldos of Genoa, from which the cardinal descended. In order that he lived in Rome with dignity and comfort, the king granted him the benefits of the abbey of Burgo-Hondo, archdeaconship of Calatrava and a canonisation in the cathedral of Toledo.

  Bishop Ramirez, who was from Calaorra (Logroño), is buried in the above mentioned Cathedral, he was also born in the Palace of the Count of Olive.

  Miguel del Barco, ecclesiastical and writer, was born at Casas de Millán in the year 1706. He studied philosophy in the University of Salamanca and it was grammar teacher. It entered in Jesus' Company May 18 1728. In 1735 it traveled to the viceroyalty of New Spain, political-administrative entity settled down by the Spanish kings during the colonial period in the territories of the current Mexico, to begin their activities like missionary. In 1738, it left heading for California, where it remained until the expulsion of the Jesuits in 1767. To him the construction of the church of San Javier Biaundo Mission is owed. Interested by the nature and the customs of the inhabitants from California, he wrote several works, some of which were used to form the History of California of Francisco Javier Clavijero. It died expatriated in Bologna (Italy) October 24 1790.

Casas de Millán (Cáceres) 2001